Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 2 Part 2: Not exactly Karagoz, but...

Ok, if you've lived in Turkey, you've probably watched Hacivat and Karagoz - traditional shadow puppet plays. I figured that the Vietnamese water puppets would be much the same. I expected screechy music and lots of dialogue that that I couldn't understand. I've watched Karagoz for hours at school - never understanding, but eventually getting to the zen place that I enjoyed it quite a bit.

With that in mind, I went to the water puppets. The water puppets are traditionally Vietnamese and were invented by farmers in rice paddies. The puppeteers are behind a screen and work wading in water to push the puppets around and make them dance and move. The puppet works are under water so that they aren't seen. To the side is a traditional orchestra with singers who talk with the puppets as well as sing.

There were water buffalo, wives hitting husbands, dragons, fishermen and fish-stealing varmits. I guess it was sort of what I expected because it was amusing, though I didn't know what was going on. But it was traditional and it made me think of Turkey, so I did it.

Also on my list of things to do is to go to Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum. I want to see if it's like Ataturk's since "Uncle Ho's" picture is everywhere just like Ataturk's (even in the stairway of the hostel.)

No comments: