Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 1: Barely escaped to Vietnam (Friday June 27)

Between the drama that is my life and my own stupidity, it was a wonder that I made it to Vietnam at all. I know lots of people who have had great times traveling in Vietnam, including several of you reading this, and they told such great stories of the fun stuff they did, but not one of them mentioned that I'd need to get a visa. It wouldn't have hurt to tell some visa story! And no, it wasn't patently obvious that I'd need one to go to a Communist country! Since this was the first trip I'd planned and booked for myself in years and years, I didn't even think to check. It wasn't until Tuesday that I realized one was required and that I couldn't just get one at the airport! I completely panicked, but then called the consulate. They said that I could get one the next day. So I could apply on Wednesday, pick it up on Thursday and fly on Friday. But on Wednesday, a typhoon hit and shut down the town. Luckily the consulate was very obliging and on Thursday got me my visa the same day.

I did remember from backpacking around Europe that arriving in a new place and having to wander the streets finding a place to sleep was absolutely the worst. So as I headed off to Vietnam, I decided to make it easy on myself. I booked a couple of nights at a backpackers hostel and arranged for an airport pick-up. It cost me a little extra money, but I was so glad to arrive and just look for my name.

Impressions from the airport:
Traditional hats everywhere
Constant honking
Water buffalo and rice paddies
Crazy power lines

I arrived at the hostel, met lots of people at the upstairs bar, drank beer and relaxed knowing I had almost two weeks to have fun and explore at my own pace. I can't wait to wander Hanoi tomorrow!

5 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

Sounds like an exciting start. I am looking forward to reading about your adventures.

JM Vigil said...

Quite the adventure you had, can't wait to hear more.

Unknown said...

Ack, had I known you were going to Vietnam I DEFINITELY would have told you about Esther's and my adventures. We had our passports stolen in the mail on the way to the embassy - mine was mysteriously returned to my parents but Esther's was lost forever and had to rush order a new one that cost a bundle and all along we had to deal with a sketchy too-personal guy at the embassy... Nightmare! I'm glad it ended up working out for you.

• Eliane • said...

What an adventure! I love that you are doing this in solo, as a present to yourself! I will have to come back and read more. Hopefully, you'll convince me to dare something like that for myself. :)

Sarah A said...

It sure seems like the airline selling you a ticket from Hong Kong to Vietnam would have alerted you to the need for a visa. I'm glad that you were able to get it in time!

How did you ever convince your parents to let you go off on those expeditions when you were so young?
My parents would have been worried sick.